Sign In
  • National
  • International
  • Fact Check
  • Research
Truth Wire
  • Home
  • National News
  • World
  • Technology
    • Check out more:
    • Fashion
    • Travel
    • Business
    • National News
    • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
Reading: WHO worried about ‘scale and speed’ of deadly Ebola outbreak
Share
Truth WireTruth Wire
Font ResizerAa
  • World News
  • Pakistan
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
Search
  • Home 1
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Pakistan
    • Amazing Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • World News
    • Sports
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • Sitemap
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
HealthLatest

WHO worried about ‘scale and speed’ of deadly Ebola outbreak

Managing Editor
Last updated: May 19, 2026 7:04 pm
Managing Editor
Share
SHARE

Contents
‘Challenges’US screening
Workers stand guard at the gate of the Kibuli Muslim Hospital where a Congolese man died of Ebola Bundibugyo virus in Kibuli suburb of Kampala, Uganda May 16, 2026. — Reuters
Workers stand guard at the gate of the Kibuli Muslim Hospital where a Congolese man died of Ebola Bundibugyo virus in Kibuli suburb of Kampala, Uganda May 16, 2026. — Reuters

KINSHASA: The World Health Organisation chief voiced concern on Tuesday about the “scale and speed” of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has killed an estimated 131 people.

The WHO has declared the surge of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever an international health emergency and called an emergency meeting on the crisis on Tuesday.

No vaccine or therapeutic treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola responsible for the latest outbreak of the disease, which has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa in the past half century.

With the new outbreak largely concentrated in difficult-to-access areas hit by long-running conflicts, few samples have been laboratory-tested and figures are based mostly on suspected cases.

“We have recorded roughly 131 deaths in total and we have around 513 suspected cases,” Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said on national television early Tuesday.

“The deaths we are reporting are all the deaths we have identified in the community, without necessarily saying that they are all linked to Ebola,” he added.

The previous figures from the outbreak, declared late last week in the country’s east, gave a total of 91 dead out of 350 suspected cases.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the decision to declare the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations was not taken “lightly”.

“I’m deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic,” he told the annual meeting of the health agency’s decision-taking body in Geneva on Tuesday.

The epicentre is in northeastern Ituri province on the border with Uganda and South Sudan.

As a gold-mining hub, it sees people regularly crisscrossing the region and has been plagued by clashes between local militias for years.

The virus has already spread into neighbouring provinces, as well as beyond the DRC’s borders into Uganda.

“Unfortunately, the alert was slow to circulate within the community, because people thought it was a mystical illness, and so, as a result, the sick were not taken to the hospital,” Kamba said.

‘Challenges’

The outbreak is the 17th in the vast central African country of more than 100 million people.

Vaccines are only available for the Zaire strain of the disease, which has caused the biggest recorded outbreaks.

The WHO said it was examining whether any candidate vaccines or treatments could be used to rein in the new surge.

The Bundibugyo strain has previously been responsible for outbreaks in Uganda in 2007 and in the DRC in 2012. The mortality rate was 30 to 50 percent.

Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi on Tuesday urged citizens to keep “calm” and take precautions, the presidency said on X, adding that Tshisekedi had asked the government to step up the response to the outbreak.

Suspected cases have been reported in the commercial hub of Butembo in neighbouring North Kivu province, some 200 kilometres (125 miles) from the epidemic’s ground zero, Kamba said, without giving further details.

Another case has been recorded in Goma, North Kivu’s key provincial capital currently under the control of the Rwanda-backed M23 armed group.

The front line dividing the anti-governmental group and government forces runs through the provinces of North Kivu and neighbouring South Kivu.

“Humanitarian access and coordination between the various stakeholders, particularly the parties to the conflict, could be one of the challenges for the response,” Francois Moreillon, of the International Committee of the Red Cross in the DRC, told AFP on Monday.

He called on the belligerents to guarantee effective access, cooperation and humanitarian coordination.

US screening

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has declared the outbreak a continental public health emergency.

Tedros said that 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in Ituri province.

“Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC,” he said.

Germany said on Tuesday it was readying to receive and treat a US citizen who has contracted the virus.

American Christian NGO Serge said the patient was a doctor for the organisation who was exposed to the virus through his work.

It said two other doctors with the NGO who treated sick people were asymptomatic.

The United States announced it was screening air passengers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services.

First identified in 1976 and believed to have originated in bats, Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure.

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in the DRC claimed nearly 2,300 lives from 3,500 cases between 2018 and 2020.



2026-05-19 17:44:00

News Source

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article WATCH: Bangladesh players sledge Rizwan during tense Sylhet Test chase
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's Pick

The Best Wireless Gaming Headsets in This Year

As for quality, the HS80's provided clear-cut sound with adequate bass and a slight emphasis on the mid-range, making those…

4.8 out of 5Good
5 Tips for Charging an Electric Vehicle More Easily

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing…

4 Min Read
Google Must Allow Developers to Use Other Payment Systems

Modern technology has become a total phenomenon for civilization, the defining force…

4 Min Read

Top Writers

Oponion

WATCH: Bangladesh players sledge Rizwan during tense Sylhet Test chase

Pakistan's Muhammad Rizwan plays a shot during the fourth day…

May 19, 2026

Prince Edward makes statement as he honours royal legacy: ‘extraordinary’

Prince Edward appears to be unfazed…

May 19, 2026

William Daniels, Bonnie Bartlett clarify past open marriage remarks

William Daniels and Bonnie Bartlett opened…

May 19, 2026

Prince William special message steals attention on Harry, Meghan big day

Prince William shares special message on…

May 19, 2026

Ryan Garcia makes official Las Vegas showdown this September—but who faces him?

Ryan Garcia makes official Las Vegas…

May 19, 2026

You Might Also Like

EntertainmentLatest

Taylor Swift comparison resurfaces as Olivia Rodrigo teases new ‘lyric’

Taylor Swift comparison resurfaces as Olivia Rodrigo teases new 'lyric' Taylor Swift fans are quick to spot similarities whenever another…

8 Min Read
EntertainmentLatest

Millie Bobby Brown’s necklace has internet in detective mode

Millie Bobby Brown’s necklace has internet in detective mode Millie Bobby Brown may have just dropped the softest celebrity baby…

7 Min Read
BusinessLatest

Duchess Sophie, Prince Edward make unexpected move at Chelsea Flower Show

The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh joined members of the royal family on the 2026 edition of the RHS Chelsea…

7 Min Read
LatestPakistan

Minister rejects impression that possible 28th Amendment would undo 18th

Minister of State for Law and Justice Barrister Aqeel Malik gestures during an event. — Instagram/barristeraqeelmalik/FilePTI terms reversal political suicide…

8 Min Read
Truth Wire

News

  • World News
  • Advertise

Technology

  • Technology

Health

  • Medicine
  • Children
  • Coronavirus
  • Nutrition

Culture

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos

More

  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
  • Pakistan
  • Sports
  • Health

Subscribe

  • Home Delivery
  • Digital Subscription
  • Games
  • Cooking
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Not a member? Sign Up