Sign In
  • National
  • International
  • Fact Check
  • Research
Truth Wire
  • Home
  • National News
  • World
  • Technology
    • Check out more:
    • Fashion
    • Travel
    • Business
    • National News
    • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
Reading: Senior Fifa official Lamour exits after Infantino criticism
Share
Truth WireTruth Wire
Font ResizerAa
  • World News
  • Pakistan
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
Search
  • Home 1
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Pakistan
    • Amazing Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • World News
    • Sports
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • Sitemap
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
LatestSports

Senior Fifa official Lamour exits after Infantino criticism

Managing Editor
Last updated: August 18, 2026 11:11 am
Managing Editor
Share
SHARE

Contents
Backlash puts Infantino’s reelection in doubt‘Clear breach of rules’Scottish federation will not back Infantino
The logo of FIFA is seen in front of its headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland September 26, 2017. — Reuters
The logo of FIFA is seen in front of its headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland September 26, 2017. — Reuters
  • Lamour joined soccer’s global governing body in November 2024.
  • FairSquare asks body to rule Infantino ineligible for fourth term bid.
  • Scottish federation will not support Infantino’s reelection.

Fifa said on Monday that Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour had left the organisation, weeks after he publicly criticised Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell a stake in the commercial rights of the World Cup and other tournaments.

Lamour joined the senior leadership group of soccer’s global governing body in November 2024, having previously been part of the inner circle that campaigned for Infantino’s election as Fifa president in 2016.

“Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Fifa’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a Fifa spokesperson said on Monday.

“Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter.”

Lamour had publicly criticised the proposal last month, saying Fifa staff had been “deceived” over the plan and describing it as “the project of one person”.

“Our mission … is to serve football, not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies Fifa when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said.

Backlash puts Infantino’s reelection in doubt

Frenchman Lamour’s comments came soon after Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest at the proposal, calling it “a bad deal for football”. Infantino withdrew the proposal later the same day.

The backlash to the plan to create a $20 billion subsidiary and sell up to a 20% stake to private equity investors to raise $4.2 billion has not abated, however.

Infantino’s bid for reelection for a fourth term as president in March next year, which once looked a formality, is now far from certain.

Powerful European confederation Uefa, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and CONCACAF are ranged in opposition to the 56-year-old Swiss supremo, although he retains the support of the African and South American confederations.

Human rights in sport organisation FairSquare confirmed on Monday it had written to Fifa’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee (GACC) urging that Infantino be ruled ineligible to seek another term as president.

‘Clear breach of rules’

While Fifa presidents are limited to three terms, Infantino successfully argued in 2022 that his first stint in office from 2016 to 2019 should not count towards that limit because it completed an interrupted mandate.

Infantino was initially elected at an Extraordinary Congress following the resignation of Sepp Blatter amid a corruption scandal. He was reelected unopposed in 2019 and 2023.

“The complaint we have filed provides clear evidence that this is a clear breach of the rules and one that sets a very dangerous precedent,” FairSquare director Nicholas McGeehan told Reuters.

“The rules state clearly that three presidential terms is the maximum allowed. Fifa can’t simply circumvent this rule – which serves as a check on presidential power – by saying that his first term doesn’t count.”

Fifa did not respond to a request for comment on Monday.

Last week, Uefa, the AFC and CONCACAF, which runs football in the Caribbean, North and Central America, called for an independent review of Infantino’s conduct.

Sources with knowledge of the situation said the three confederations viewed the letter as an opportunity for Infantino to quit with his dignity intact.

Scottish federation will not back Infantino

Several national associations have also voiced concerns. Scottish Football Association Chief Executive Ian Maxwell told the BBC on Monday that his federation would not support Infantino’s reelection.

FairSquare’s letter to the GACC was drafted with the assistance of Miguel Maduro, the former head of Fifa’s independent Governance and Review Committee, who said the governing body could not disregard its own rules.

“The principle of term limits was a fundamental aspect of the 2016 reform aimed at limiting power and the rule introduced is clear: no Fifa President can serve more than three terms of office,” Maduro said in a statement.

“Trying to carve out an exception to such a rule for Mr Infantino reveals both a resistance to the principle of term limits and how some at Fifa conceive of rules not as rules but as obstacles to be circumvented.”

A FairSquare complaint to the International Olympic Committee over Infantino’s alleged breach of the body’s rules on political neutrality because of his support for US President Donald Trump was rejected last month. Infantino has been an IOC member since 2020.



2026-08-18 10:13:00

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Two students dead in Philippines school shooting including gunman, say officials
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's Pick

The Best Wireless Gaming Headsets in This Year

As for quality, the HS80's provided clear-cut sound with adequate bass and a slight emphasis on the mid-range, making those…

4.8 out of 5Good
5 Tips for Charging an Electric Vehicle More Easily

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing…

4 Min Read
Google Must Allow Developers to Use Other Payment Systems

Modern technology has become a total phenomenon for civilization, the defining force…

4 Min Read

Top Writers

kaylene0943

Oponion

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor receives unexpected peace offer from King Charles

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor receives unexpected peace offer from King CharlesAndrew Mountbatten-Windsor,…

August 18, 2026

Oil jumps past $91 as Iran war keeps Hormuz oil flows in limbo amid stalled diplomacy

A drone view of a pump…

August 18, 2026

Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews’ ‘biggest lie ever’ exposed

The former glamour model displayed her…

August 18, 2026

Kim Kardashian shares ‘rainbow’ moments with Lewis Hamilton and family

Kim Kardashian seems to be having…

August 18, 2026

Ryan Gosling’s Marvel ‘Ghost Rider’ gets July 2028 release date

Ryan Gosling's Marvel 'Ghost Rider' gets…

August 18, 2026

You Might Also Like

BusinessLatest

Sophia becomes 2nd KATSEYE member to announce hiatus for health reasons

Manon Bannerman previously left the six-member girl group in February KATSEYE leader Sophia Laforteza is temporarily stepping away from the group…

6 Min Read
EntertainmentLatest

Frankie Valli cancels concerts due to ‘health’ reasons

Frankie Valli cancels concerts due to ‘health' reasons Frankie Valli has cancelled all of his remaining concert dates for 2026,…

9 Min Read
BusinessLatest

Oil falls as investors await clarity after Iran, Israel halt attacks

A pumpjack operates at the Vermilion Energy site in Trigueres, France, June 14, 2024. — ReutersMarkets remain cautious as Iran,…

8 Min Read
BusinessLatest

Canadian boy dies of rabies after seemingly harmless contact with bat

Canadian boy dies of rabies after seemingly harmless contact with batA rare fatal case of rabies in Canada has raised…

6 Min Read
Truth Wire

News

  • World News
  • Advertise

Technology

  • Technology

Health

  • Medicine
  • Children
  • Coronavirus
  • Nutrition

Culture

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos

More

  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
  • Pakistan
  • Sports
  • Health

Subscribe

  • Home Delivery
  • Digital Subscription
  • Games
  • Cooking
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Not a member? Sign Up