Sign In
  • National
  • International
  • Fact Check
  • Research
Truth Wire
  • Home
  • National News
  • World
  • Technology
    • Check out more:
    • Fashion
    • Travel
    • Business
    • National News
    • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
Reading: Gunshots fired in standoff at Philippine Senate over ICC suspect
Share
Truth WireTruth Wire
Font ResizerAa
  • World News
  • Pakistan
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
Search
  • Home 1
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Pakistan
    • Amazing Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • World News
    • Sports
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • Sitemap
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
LatestWorld News

Gunshots fired in standoff at Philippine Senate over ICC suspect

Managing Editor
Last updated: May 13, 2026 6:16 pm
Managing Editor
Share
SHARE

A member of the Senate security walks, after gunshots were heard at the Philippine Senate, as chaos mounted in anticipation of an attempt to arrest a top senator wanted by the International Criminal Court, in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines, May 13, 2026. — Reuters
A member of the Senate security walks, after gunshots were heard at the Philippine Senate, as chaos mounted in anticipation of an attempt to arrest a top senator wanted by the International Criminal Court, in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines, May 13, 2026. — Reuters
  • No immediate reports of casualties after melee.
  • Interior minister says details on gunshots unclear.
  • Military personnel deployed to assist Senate security.

MANILA: Gunshots broke out at the Philippine Senate on Wednesday and people ran for cover after a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court said his arrest was imminent and security forces entered the building.

There were no immediate reports of casualties, however, Senate Secretary Mark Llandro Mendoza told reporters following the chaos at the legislature in the capital Manila.

Senator Ronald dela Rosa, a former police chief who was the main enforcer of ex-Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody “war on drugs”, had earlier urged people to mobilise to prevent his arrest and handover to the ICC.

The Hague-based court on Monday unsealed an arrest warrant for dela Rosa on charges of crimes against humanity, the same that 81-year-old Duterte is accused of as he awaits trial in the ICC following his transfer last year.

Dela Rosa, 64, has denied involvement in illegal killings.

“I am appealing to you, I hope you can help me. Do not allow another Filipino to be brought to The Hague,” he said in a video on Facebook from his Senate office, where he has taken refuge since Monday when placed under legislative protection.

Senate Secretary Mendoza said law enforcement officers believed to be from the National Bureau of Investigation had attempted to enter the Senate and fired as they retreated.

But NBI Director Melvin Matibag told GMA News that no agents had been deployed.

“I spoke with the (justice) minister and he told me to await instructions. We have no preparations whatsoever,” he said.

More than 10 military personnel in camouflage fatigues arrived, some carrying assault rifles, Reuters journalists saw.

The chief of the military’s public affairs office Xerxes Trinidad told Reuters the Senate had requested help to “assist them in securing the facility”.

Interior Minister Jonvic Remulla said it was unclear who fired shots and security footage would need to be checked. He said dela Rosa was safe and he assured him no arrest would be made.

Duterte’s top lieutenant

The office of the prosecutor at the ICC referred requests for comment to the court. The court’s press office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dela Rosa was Duterte’s top lieutenant overseeing a fierce crackdown during which thousands of alleged drug dealers were slain, with human rights groups accusing police of systematic murders and cover-ups.

Police reject the allegations and say the more than 6,000 killed in anti-drugs operations were all armed and had resisted arrest.

Activists say the real death toll may never be known, with users and small-time peddlers gunned down almost daily in mysterious slumland killings blamed on vigilantes and turf wars.

The Senate was heavily guarded throughout Wednesday, with lines of police deployed to keep the peace as protesters gathered, some calling for the arrest of dela Rosa, better known in the Philippines as “Bato”, or “rock”.

His ally, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, said he had spoken to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, who had assured him no government personnel had been involved in Wednesday’s incident.

Dela Rosa, who returned to the Senate on Monday for the first time since disappearing from public view in November, has appealed to Marcos not to hand him over to the ICC.

He has also filed an emergency petition with the Supreme Court urging it to block any attempt to transfer him to The Hague. The court in a statement on Wednesday gave all parties to the petition 72 hours to respond.

Dela Rosa insists any transfer to the ICC would be illegal, as the country is no longer a signatory to the Rome Statute.

Duterte unilaterally withdrew the Philippines from the ICC in 2018 when its prosecutor announced a preliminary examination into his anti-drugs campaign had started. The ICC says alleged crimes committed while a country was a member are under its jurisdiction.

Duterte is set to become the first Asian former head of state to go on trial at the ICC, a court he repeatedly dared to pursue him during a succession of public speeches, saying he was ready to “rot in jail” to protect his people from the drugs scourge.

He maintains his innocence, according to his legal team.



2026-05-13 15:13:00

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article LinkedIn lays off 5% of workforce after abrupt internal memo
Next Article Hajj 2026: Saudi ministry unveils digital revolution to facilitate Pakistani pilgrims
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's Pick

The Best Wireless Gaming Headsets in This Year

As for quality, the HS80's provided clear-cut sound with adequate bass and a slight emphasis on the mid-range, making those…

4.8 out of 5Good
5 Tips for Charging an Electric Vehicle More Easily

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing…

4 Min Read
Google Must Allow Developers to Use Other Payment Systems

Modern technology has become a total phenomenon for civilization, the defining force…

4 Min Read

Top Writers

Oponion

King Charles Buckingham Palace stunt sparks reaction from Idris Elba

King Charles Buckingham Palace stunt sparks reaction from Idris Elba…

May 19, 2026

Robert Downey Jr., Paul Bettany reunion at Spring Gala breaks the internet

Robert Downey Jr. and longtime Marvel…

May 19, 2026

Raducanu beaten by Parry in comeback match after injury layoff

Raducanu beaten by Parry in comeback…

May 19, 2026

Princess Kate secretly deals with new challenge after health battle

Princess Kate has been slowly easing…

May 19, 2026

Iran stages mass weddings for couples ready for war sacrifice

Iranian authorities held mass public weddings…

May 19, 2026

You Might Also Like

World News

Two Anti-Lockdown Leaders Arrested as Protests Held Across Valinor

Good web design has visual weight, is optimized for various devices, and has content that is prioritized for the medium.…

4 Min Read
LatestWorld News

Rising diesel costs from Iran war strain US school budgets

School bus drivers lead a caravan through downtown Los Angeles to demand that Congress and California legislators provide sufficient funding…

12 Min Read
LatestSports

Iranian FA says will meet FIFA to seek World Cup assurances in next few days

President of Iran Football Federation Mehdi Taj and Mayor of Tehran Alireza Zakani stand next to the FIFA World Cup…

9 Min Read
LatestPakistan

Anmol alias Pinky claims paying millions in ‘bribe’ to police monthly

Police produce alleged drug peddler Anmol alias Pinky before a local court in Karachi on May 12, 2026. — YouTube/Truth…

9 Min Read
Truth Wire

News

  • World News
  • Advertise

Technology

  • Technology

Health

  • Medicine
  • Children
  • Coronavirus
  • Nutrition

Culture

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos

More

  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
  • Pakistan
  • Sports
  • Health

Subscribe

  • Home Delivery
  • Digital Subscription
  • Games
  • Cooking
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Not a member? Sign Up