Sign In
  • National
  • International
  • Fact Check
  • Research
Truth Wire | Authentic News Platform with Independent Journalism
  • Home
  • National News
  • World
  • Technology
    • Check out more:
    • Fashion
    • Travel
    • Business
    • National News
    • World
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Health
Reading: Canada hits back as Trump’s 50% tariffs take effect, sets retaliatory duties for Sept 8
Share
Truth Wire | Authentic News Platform with Independent JournalismTruth Wire | Authentic News Platform with Independent Journalism
Font ResizerAa
  • World News
  • Pakistan
  • Technology
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
Search
  • Home 1
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Pakistan
    • Amazing Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • World News
    • Sports
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • Sitemap
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
BusinessLatest

Canada hits back as Trump’s 50% tariffs take effect, sets retaliatory duties for Sept 8

Managing Editor
Last updated: August 23, 2026 10:20 am
Managing Editor
Share
SHARE

Contents
New US terms derailed deal, says CarneySticking points
Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks with the news media after he suspended trade negotiations with the United States, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, August 22, 2026. — Reuters
Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks with the news media after he suspended trade negotiations with the United States, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, August 22, 2026. — Reuters
  • Retaliatory tariffs start Sept 8, match US duties dollar for dollar.
  • Tariffs target steel, dairy,  agri tools, pulp, paper, and electronics.
  • Duties cover about $20bn exports, affecting a number of sectors.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said on Saturday that Canada would impose tariffs starting September 8 on imports of US steel, electronics and other products in retaliation for President Donald Trump’s 50% tariffs that took effect at midnight.

After days of intense negotiations, the two countries did not reach a trade deal late Friday, worsening a delicate relationship between the longtime trade partners and allies and complicating the future of the continental free trade pact known as the US -Mexico-Canada Agreement.

Trump’s new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment, and cover some $20 billion of Canadian exports to the US. These duties do not exempt Canadian products under the USMCA, which has shielded most Canadian exports to the US in the last 18 months.

“Canada will match Washington’s new tariffs dollar for dollar in order to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families, and businesses,” Carney told a press conference.

“You’re at war when you get attacked. We got attacked,” Carney said when asked a question about whether Canada was engaged in a trade war.

Carney is one of the few global leaders to retaliate against US tariffs and has pledged to forge new trade and military alliances, despite Canada’s dependence on the United States for nearly 70% of its exports.

Canada will impose tariffs on US steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with some products the US previously targeted in Canada, Carney said from Ottawa’s Parliament building. The government will release details on its response in the coming days, he said.

“We cannot accept what they have offered, and we will not give what they have asked,” Carney said.

Trump had expressed hope that a deal with Canada could happen on Friday.

New US terms derailed deal, says Carney

But Carney said the US administration’s last-minute demands halted progress.

“In recent days, the US proposed new terms that were uneconomic, unfair, and undermined the net benefits to Canada, calling into question the reliability of any deal,” he said, adding that these demands included curtailing Canada’s ability to forge new trade deals.

Carney said Canada would announce support measures next week for industries hit by the new US duties, adding these measures could last years.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told Fox News on Saturday that no new talks are planned with Canada.

“We’re moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation,” Greer said. “They’ve always had the best deal, and they still would have an even better deal, but they didn’t want that.”

The White House, the US commerce secretary’s office and the US trade representative’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comments.

The new US tariffs cover around 5% of Canada’s exports to the US They could expose some vulnerable industries such as softwood lumber and wine to severe damage and lead to job losses and business closures, trade experts have said.

“We will be mobilising our network of businesses in all regions and all sectors to brace for impact and make the best of a bad situation,” said Candace Laing, CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, one of the most vocal opponents of US tariffs, supported Carney’s decision to retaliate.

“I’m glad he didn’t sign that deal because it was a bad deal. It was a bad deal for Ontario. It was a bad deal for the auto sector, the steel sector, and the manufacturing sector,” Ford told reporters on Saturday.

Sticking points

One of the main sticking points was the treatment of larger vehicles.

Three sources said Canada wanted favourable tariff terms proposed for light-duty vehicles to extend to medium- and heavy-duty trucks, something the US resisted. Carney said the US position would have excluded Canadian-made models, including Ford’s F-350, F-450 and F-550 trucks and General Motors’ Silverado, making Canadian production less competitive.

There were also US proposals that affected Canadian culture, language and sovereignty, Carney said, without elaborating.

Carney was elected last year on a promise to be a tough negotiator with Trump, and remains broadly popular. Polls show most Canadians oppose making any concessions to the U.S.

“Canadians must stand united to defend our country against these unfair attacks on our jobs and businesses,” Pierre Poilievre, the leader of the official opposition Conservative Party, said in a statement.



2026-08-23 06:23:00

Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Meghan Markle’s dream shatters just hours after lucrative deal leaks
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Editor's Pick

The Best Wireless Gaming Headsets in This Year

As for quality, the HS80's provided clear-cut sound with adequate bass and a slight emphasis on the mid-range, making those…

4.8 out of 5Good
5 Tips for Charging an Electric Vehicle More Easily

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing…

4 Min Read
Google Must Allow Developers to Use Other Payment Systems

Modern technology has become a total phenomenon for civilization, the defining force…

4 Min Read

Top Writers

kaylene0943

Oponion

Canada hits back as Trump’s 50% tariffs take effect, sets retaliatory duties for Sept 8

Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks with the news media…

August 23, 2026

Meghan Markle’s dream shatters just hours after lucrative deal leaks

Meghan Markle hit with major setback…

August 23, 2026

Hailey Bieber celebrates her ‘sweet baby’ Jack Blues turning 2

Hailey Bieber is celebrating a very…

August 23, 2026

‘National Treasure 3′ returns after 20 years with major upgrade

After almost 20 years of waiting,…

August 23, 2026

Who hacked BTS Jung Kook’s account? Chinese national sentenced to 20 years

Who hacked BTS Jung Kook’s account?…

August 23, 2026

You Might Also Like

BusinessLatest

Air India scare: Carrier launches probe after two aircraft safety incidents in 24 hours

Air India scare: Carrier launches probe after two aircraft safety incidents in 24 hours Air India has launched an investigation…

7 Min Read

Ariana Grande offers glimpse into 33rd birthday celebration

Ariana Grande offers glimpse into 33rd birthday celebrationAriana Grande is basking in the love from her team and fans alike…

6 Min Read
BusinessLatest

Govt orders NCCIA probe into alleged Cambridge exam paper leaks

Students can be seen in an examination hall in Karachi during Cambridge exams on April 26, 2021. — X/Deputy Commissioner…

8 Min Read
EntertainmentLatest

Olivia Rodrigo fuels new romance rumours

Olivia Rodrigo fuels new romance rumoursOlivia Rodrigo appears to have a new man in her life, and he is a…

6 Min Read
Truth Wire | Authentic News Platform with Independent Journalism

News

  • World News
  • Advertise

Technology

  • Technology

Health

  • Medicine
  • Children
  • Coronavirus
  • Nutrition

Culture

  • Stars
  • Screen
  • Culture
  • Media
  • Videos

More

  • Entertainment
  • Amazing Lifestyle
  • Pakistan
  • Sports
  • Health

Subscribe

  • Home Delivery
  • Digital Subscription
  • Games
  • Cooking
© Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by
►
Necessary cookies enable essential site features like secure log-ins and consent preference adjustments. They do not store personal data.
None
►
Functional cookies support features like content sharing on social media, collecting feedback, and enabling third-party tools.
None
►
Analytical cookies track visitor interactions, providing insights on metrics like visitor count, bounce rate, and traffic sources.
None
►
Advertisement cookies deliver personalized ads based on your previous visits and analyze the effectiveness of ad campaigns.
None
►
Unclassified cookies are cookies that we are in the process of classifying, together with the providers of individual cookies.
None
Powered by
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

Not a member? Sign Up